On the subject of Cron,

When I was still running Fedora Core 3, I was running my freshclam's
using cron but found from time to time that when I came in to work in
the morning I would have 20 to 30 cron processes still holding on
chewing up resource but not finishing off anything.

This caused me immense problems and was trhe primary reason for moving
away from cron to freshclam in daemon mode.

I did loads of research on the net and found sparse references to this
problem and little to no resolution, since moving to daemon mode, I have
had none of these issues (and still don't know the cause) so am happier
with the stability I get from the daemon.