Nigel Horne wrote:
Dennis Peterson wrote:

I've decided to explore clamav-milter. The objective is to have a single server where all clamAV process run. Think of it as a virtual AV appliance (Because that is what it is).

The lab environment is a mail server (Solaris 9, Sparc) running sendmail and another server (Solaris 10, X86) that runs clamd and the milter used to extract the attachments and submit them to ClamAV. I have substituted clamav-milter for this function by adding clmilter to sendmail.cf on the mail server. I built and have a running copy of milter-clamav and tried the following command line to start it:

/usr/local/sbin/clamav-milter --external --server=127.0.0.1 \
  --quiet --blacklist=60 --postmaster-only --local \
  -outgoing inet:3311

The mail server can connect to port 3311 on the AV server fine but the following error shows up in the clamav log:

Jan 16 12:39:11 omak clamav-milter[13345]: [ID 472601 local6.warning] Access Denied for sparky[192.168.1.55]

The av server is omak, and the mail server is sparky.

Check your TCP wrappers setting (/etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow on Linux,
not sure where it is on Solaris).

That was it. I'd forgotten the last tests done on this system was for the denyhosts script to thwart ssh crackers. The system ordinarily does not have tcpwrappers enabled just to prevent this very kind of surprise. Thanks, Nigel.

dp