robert delius royar wrote:
System: FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p28 i386
Sendmail: 8.13.8
Milters: spamassassin_milter (C based)
          smf-grey
          clamav-milter 0.90

With the latest version of clamav-milter, all incoming mail is failing
with a temp fail 451 error.  In the log files I see
  Milter (clmilter): timeout before data read
  Milter (clmilter): to error state
for each message after about 4 minutes waiting, the timeout set in
sendmail.mc:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter',`S=unix:/var/run/clamav/clmilter.sock, F=T, T=S:4m;R:4m')

I start the milter with
/usr/local/sbin/clamav-milter -lHq --dont-wait --max-children 12 -T 0 local:/var/run/clamav/clmilter.sock

Version 0.88.7 of the milter works fine.  I have tried various timeout
settings, but I believe the problem is beyond my user-level ability to diagnose without suggestions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Clamd takes longer to start in 0.90 than 0.88, you need to ensure that
your startup script allows for this - see .../contrib/init/RedHat/clamav-milter,
whilst that script is for Linux, the same change will be needed for all
platforms.

I forgot to update the startup scripts for the other O/S's, sorry, however on
the other hand no-one noticed it during the RC stage and reported it.

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Adjudicator, Band Trainer, Composer, Tutor, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK.  ICQ#20252325