Did the upgrade on 10.4.8, Intel-based Mac Mini yesterday.

There was a post on this mailing list today about a change you need to do to the Makefile if you are not running an Intel-based Mac.

I used
./configure --enable-experimental
then make
then sudo make install

Copy the clamd.conf and freshclam.conf files across, after making a note of what your current settings are. The format is slightly different, so watch out for that.

Yes, I'd first uninstall the old version. Go to your old source code folder (ie Clam 0.88.5) and do:

sudo make uninstall

I'm not unix expert either, but I managed to get it working.

James.