On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:38:47AM +0100, Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:26:10AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 11:11:39AM +0100, Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:
> > > Just put this in your freshclam.conf:
> > >
> > > ScriptedUpdates no
> > >
> > > It will make sure only .cvd files are downloaded.
> >
> > This is the quick fix I have taken, but is this the right way in the
> > long term? Scripted updates were implemented for a reason, and I don't
> > think that it is the right way to turn them off again to fix the
> > issues that came up with them.
>
> Ah, I assumed for a moment you would only build the .cvd package
> centrally for the entire debian distribution, so it wouldn't make
> much of a difference. I see now what you mean...

We are using the same script to build a central .cvd, and I have
understood in the mean time that if we want our packages to be
compatible with the outdated engines in Debian stable, we _need_ to
disable Scripted Updates. And so be it ;)

Thanks for helping me realize this.

> I guess packing up the entire contents of the database directory would
> work just as well. Verification can be done by pointing clamscan to the
> downloaded directory and trying to scan a test-file. (That's not
> signature verification, but you'd assume that freshclam already did
> that).

The test file signatures, though, are in the main.cvd, and thus a
botched daily.cvd won't be noticed here. Signature Verification is
much better.

Greetings
Marc