On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 23:02:22 +0300
"Török Edvin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 4/9/07, Brian Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 19:56:44 +0100
> > Brian Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Since updating to 0.9x I have noticed that from time to time after a
> > > cdiff update via freshclam, clamd reports a much smaller value for the
> > > number of signatures than freshclam. Some number of updates later
> > > the two then match again.
> >
> > Hmm, no response at all.
> >

> Are you sure freshclam and clamd are configured the same database directory?

Yes, absolutely certain, you can see the freshclam -> clamd notification
message, and the subsequent clamd database reload message, in my
original post.

As for the .conf files, relevant parts of each are here:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# grep DatabaseDirectory /host/ickx/root/etc/*clam*.conf
/host/ickx/root/etc/clamd.conf:DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav
/host/ickx/root/etc/freshclam.conf:DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]#

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]# grep Notify /host/ickx/root/etc/*clam*.conf
/host/ickx/root/etc/freshclam.conf:NotifyClamd /etc/clamd.conf
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc]#

> It can happen that certain signatures are ignored on db load, but
> 105451 vs 90875 is too big of a difference.

I'll agree it is rather excessive. I'm trying to understand what's
happening....

> Are you sure you didn't change the configuration of clamd meanwhile?

No, the two parts of the freshclam/clamd system and configuration are
updated together when I build and install my rpms. I have not touched
the configuration files since 0.90.1 was installed when I ensured that
all the settings are changed to my liking.

FWIW I just noticed that freshclam.conf had a group owner root instead
of clamav, I've just changed it but still no change in the messages I
see in the syslog output.

> Does this situation occur often?

Sometimes several times a day, other days not at all, just depends on
the changes in the latest database update(s).

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html