On 8/24/07 2:12 PM, "John W. Baxter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Daily sigs: 4054; main 44.  ClamAv 0.91.2-1
>
> Installed on CentOS-4.5 from Dag's packages.  Freshly updated via the
> packages from the ancient 0.90-2 (also Dag's).

(of course

> For the moment, I'm turning what should be the quite valuable option
> PhishingScanURLs
> off.
>
> 1.  Have others with similar setups noticed this seeming problem?
>
> 2.  Have I in fact found the right switch to turn off the scanning which
> produces Phishing.Heuristics.Email.SpoofedDomain

We're seeing
   1.  Mail from Yahoo groups (or some mail from Yahoo groups) being marked
as Phishing (for URL reasons)
   2.  Same for a Seattle Times mailing list.
   3.  Same for a Democracy in Action mailing.
   4.  Customer (unwise, usually) forwarding of messages with URLs being
marked as Phishing although they came in unscathed.

We're about to install emergency code which will initially ignore all
Phishing "hits", but is written so we can be more selective.  (It can ignore
any particular hit--tested with EICAR.)

Should the following settings have the effect of disabling any detection
regarding Phishing?  (Actually, I don't think the signature-based phishing
detection is causing our problems.)

(I haven't found any extra config files in the wrong places (that is, where
they are being used but not where I'm editing them).  And I am restarting
what needs restarting.)

# With this option enabled ClamAV will try to detect phishing attempts by
using
# signatures.
# Default: yes
#PhishingSignatures yes
PhishingSignatures no

# Scan urls found in mails for phishing attempts.
# (available in experimental builds only)
# Default: yes
#PhishingScanURLs yes
PhishingScanURLs no

# Use phishing detection only for domains listed in the .pdb database. It is
# not recommended to have this option turned off, because scanning of all
# domains may lead to many false positives!
# (available in experimental builds only)
# Default: yes
#PhishingRestrictedScan yes

# Always block SSL mismatches in URLs, even if the URL isn't in the
database.
# This can lead to false positives.
# (available in experimental builds only)
#
# Default: no
#PhishingAlwaysBlockSSLMismatch no

# Always block cloaked URLs, even if URL isn't in database.
# This can lead to false positives.
# (available in experimental builds only)
#
# Default: no
#PhishingAlwaysBlockCloak no