On 10/25/07, Gomes, Rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dennis,
>         Thanks for the reply. I understand all of what you are saying, having
> worked as a sysadmin for many years now. My issue is that even with most
> vendors using different naming conventions, they are "usually"
> cross-reference in any technical info that is out there. I can't find any
> data on these messages and would like to know what other malware names they
> match up to so I can present it to management. At this point I can't even
> give a risk assessment.

The trouble is, that takes time, time that has to be paid for (or donated free).

One option would be to submit the viruses to the likes of VirusTotal,
to see what the other vendor's call it.  You, and others, could then
create a comparison page that allowed you to search for a virus
signature name and see what other products call it.  Somebody else
used to manage a page like this, but I don't know if it's still being
done.

Not perfect I know, but right now I suspect it's the only way.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor