I tried building and running clamav 0.93 on a handful of BSD systems,
running clamd on TCP port 3310 and seeing if I can get it to do respond
to STREAM commands (and do the correct thing with a few samples).
Mostly I had success, but with one exception:

FreeBSD 7.0 - builds and runs fine
FreeBSD 6.3 - builds and runs and responds (minimal testing)
FreeBSD 5.2 - builds and runs but does not respond (much).

For kicks I also tried it on an ancient BSD/OS 4.2 (BSDi) system; it
builds and runs fine there too.

But it really isn't happy on the FreeBSD 5.2 system.  It will start up
and make its initial marks in the log, the same as on the other systems.
Attempts to connect to it and send a PING packet are almost universally
met with lack of response (connection accepted, no reply comes back).
Every once in a great while, it will respond to PING immediately and
properly with PONG; it seems to break out of whatever is holding it back
for that occasion, and then it will go back into non-responsive mode
again for a number of hours.  There is nothing logged.  I have yet to
get it to respond to a STREAM command.  'top' shows the clamd process
sitting in "accept" state.  Another oddity is that a HUP signal doesn't
wake it up; on the other systems, HUP results in a log entry saying that
the log file has been reopened.

Does anyone know what magic I might try on the FreeBSD 5.2 system?  I
really don't plan on running it there for long, but it seems like it
would be nice to make it work.  The previous version that I ran
successfully there was 0.91.2 .

mm