Charles Gregory wrote:

> Could I just clarify this discussion? It started out with a specific
> comment about greylisting, which I am preparing to implement. So naturally
> it concerns me as to whether these remarks about 'big name' non-compliant
> MTA's still apply specifically to greylisting. I mean, I can't really
> imagine a 'big' (fortune 500?) company having an MTA that does not attempt
> to resend mail if it gets a 400 response from another MTA.

It depends.  We changed our greylisting code to greylist after DATA rather
than after each RCPT after observing the following behaviour from a big-name
MTA:

C:HELO
S:220 smtp.example.net Go ahead
C:MAIL FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
S:220 Sender OK
C:RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
S:451 Greylisted... try again later
C:RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
S:451 Greylisted... try again later
C:DATA
S:500 Need recipient first

Oops!  The MTA authors obviously hadn't checked their state machine carefully.

Regards,

David.