On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:33:00 -0400 (EDT), Charles Gregory wrote:
it concerns me as to whether these remarks about 'big name' non-compliant
MTA's still apply specifically to greylisting. I mean, I can't really
imagine a 'big' (fortune 500?) company having an MTA that does not attempt
to resend mail if it gets a 400 response from another MTA. I realize they
break all sorts of other stuff. Non-compliant 'helo's and all that, but at
least please tell me there isn't a 'big' company out there that is failing
to handle 4xx codes properly.... (holding breath)

One example is Arcor, a biggish German access provider. Their outgoing
mailservers do resend mail on a 4xx error - but only after a delay of
eight hours. That sort of delay is quite enough to upset many users.
But Arcor's tech support doesn't see a problem with that. They even
maintain it's RFC compliant.

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH