> My question is what am I doing wrong or what do I need to do in order
> for Clamav to recognize that a archived attachment contains a banned
> file extension and to reject it immediately?

If you really want to block "dangerous" runnable attachments, create
a .zmd file (and you'll need a .rmd file)

For example:

Sanesecurity.Blocked.Zip.xxx.exe:0:\.(doc|xls|wpd|txt|jpg|jpeg|htm|html|pdf|pif|scr).exe$:*:*:*:*:*:*

[blocks certain .xxx.exe types, ie. uses double extension to fool users,
eg .doc.exe, .jpg.exe]

Here's a really quickly put together file (and I'm sure it can be greatly
improved on), but if you really want to test it:

http://www.sanesecurity.co.uk/clamav/blocked.zmd

You'll need to create a .rmd version of this, to block items in .rar files.

Totally overkill maybe, but the ClamAV engine can do it :)

Cheers,

Steve
Sanesecurity