We are using clamav .94 on solaris 10.

We are having problems scanning large hqx files using clamscan.  I define large
as over 1 Gig.  The error we are receiving is
LibClamAV Error: cli_malloc(): Can't allocate memory (8 bytes).

The root cause is the server runs out of memory and then generates the error,
but the process never ends and server is starved for memory.  The same thing
happens when running clamdscan where we direct the file to clamd.

This does not happen when scanning large tar.gz or simple tar files.  This is
only happening with large hqx files.  Smaller hqx files work fine.

We are able to skip the files by limiting the size to scan using
--max-filesize=, but then we will be skipping other large files that we would
like to scan such as large zip files.  We tried setting --max-scansize, but it
does not seem to work in solaris 10.

I tested the -max-scansize on a tar.gz file.
Here is the size of compress file         242916 Oct 15 12:35 text.gz
Here is the size of uncompressed file     4436290 Oct 15 12:35 text.gz

/opt/clam/bin/clamscan -v /test/text.gz -i --tempdir=/tmp/clam/tmp
--move=/tmp/clam/infected --max-files=1000
00 --max-filesize=999999 --max-scansize=999999 --max-recursion=25
--max-dir-recursion=50

/opt/clam/bin/clamscan -v /test/text.gz -i --tempdir=/tmp/clam/tmp
--move=/tmp/clam/infected --max-files=1000
00 --max-filesize=4096m --max-scansize=4096m --max-recursion=25
--max-dir-recursion=50

Here is the summary I see when that indicates the entire file was scanned.