On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 10:08 -0800, Madhuri Somavarapu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed clamav on my machine. I am using it for scanning files not
> for my mail server I want to know what kind of maintainence needed for
> this software (Like upgrades).

Upgrades are not automatic, so watch the user list, or at least the
announce list, for information on new versions.

You should have some program verify that clamd and freshclam are
running.  I have running procs reported to my xymon server, and alert if
either of those two daemons goes away, but there are plenty of ways to
do that.

If you are interested in 3rd party signatures, then there will be
significantly more maintenance.  A few Google searches should get you
started on 3rd-party signatures.

> Does it scan all kind of basic document types like Microsoft products, Adobe,
> Txt files?

Yes, and many not-so-basic types.  Some of that scanning needs to be
explicitly enabled - see the clamd.conf file for details.

> Where can I find the virus file that I can test my program with?
eicar.com

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy