Richard Chapman schrieb:
> I am looking for basic setup instructions for scanning incoming postfix
> 2.3.3. mail with clamav 0.95.1.
> I have checked both faq and archive - but still have basic questions -
> such as:
> 1) Do I use the clamavpmilter or procmail. or both.
> 2) If I use both - how doi I invoke the milter with procmail.
>
> I currently have spamassassin scannhing the incoming email via procmail
> - and I assume the clamav setup would be similar. Or is the milter a
> completely different approach?
>
> Can anyone point me to setup instructions - or other guuidance.
>
> Thanks
> Richard
>

>  mail with clamav 0.95.1 / clamav /
> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net
> http://www.clamav.net/support/ml

Hi,
2.3.3 i think was the first version with milter i think
http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html
--snip
Milter protocol version

As Postfix is not built with the Sendmail libmilter library, you may
need to configure the Milter protocol version that Postfix should use.
The default version is 6 (before Postfix 2.6 the default version is 2).

    /etc/postfix/main.cf:
        # Postfix ≥ 2.6
        milter_protocol = 6
        # 2.3 ≤ Postfix ≤ 2.5
        milter_protocol = 2
--snip

dont know if its really a good idea to use milter with that version
you should upgrade anyway to recent stable 2.6.2, i used milters from
2.4.x wihout any problems

if you use clamav milter its a before queue filter
so need for procmail

you can also use after queue filter with clamd and clamsmtp
( which i would recommend if you dont want to change version )
http://memberwebs.com/stef/software/clamsmtp/
you may chain it with spampd
http://www.worlddesign.com/Content/rd/mta/spampd/spampd.htm

( or use amavis-new )

no need for procmail here too,

procmail is working as lda in most older setups
as/with filter language , you can do clam checks or/and spamassassin
checks there too before deliver in a local mailbox but
this isnt done anymore these days that are better solutions around,
i only use it for internal low traffic mailservers which do getmail from
outside mailservers

i wouldnt recommend procmail anymore
a better choice is i.e using dovecot lda and sieve

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria