ceilingcat wrote:
clamsmtp doesn't have permision to open the socket. do
ls -ld /var/run/clamav/
ls -l /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl

and see what user/group is clamsmtp running under.

I have read that the socket can take some time to establish. Could that be
a problem?
no, the messzage clearsly says it's permission problem.

Btw, why clamsmtp? which MTA do you use?

ls -ld /var/run/clamav/ ---->  drwxr-xr-x 2 clamav clamav 60 2009-07-14 12:01
/var/run/clamav/

ls -l /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl  --->   -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 0
Only the clamav user is allowed to read and write to the clamd.ctl file. This means that if the clamsmtp daemon doesn't run as the clamav user, it won't be able to communicate with clamd. I believe you have two options: Run clamsmtpd as the clamav user. You should be able to do this by editing /etc/clamsmtpd.conf to have the following two lines and starting the clamsmtpd service as root.
# User to switch to
User: clamav

You may also be able to make the clamd.ctl socket have more permissive permissions. I'm not sure exactly how to do this or what the AllowSupplementaryGroups option for /etc/clamd.conf does :-).
I am using Postfix as the MTA.  As for using clamsmtp, why not, if it
intercepts viruses for me?
People are implicitly suggesting that you use a milter which is becoming the standard replacement for filtering proxies. I think that you have a better chance of not losing an email if you use a clamav's milter, which postfix can communicate with.
btw .. i successfully installed clamsmtp on a virtual linux machine and I
thought it would be just as easy to install on my desktop box!

--
binki