>> From: ja...@iki.fi
>> To: clamav-users@lists.clamav.net
>> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 22:55:31 +0300
>> Subject: Re: [Clamav-users] nonblock_connect: connect
>> timing out (30 secs)

>>> OK. How do I run clamd?
>>> Do I only need to issue the command "clamd" and that's
>>> it? After that will I have on-access protection?
>>> If I reboot the PC, will clamd shutdown itself
>>> gracefully, or do I first need to send some command so
>>> clamd deactivates itself correctly (not leaving sockets
>>> opened like Haywood said)??
>>>

>> No. There should be a startup script like
>>
>>     /etc/init.d/clamd
>>
>> or
>>     /etc/init.d/clamav-daemon
>>
>> which should be run automatically when the system starts
>> and stops. The normal *nix way.

>> Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit
>> http://wiki.clamav.net http://www.clamav.net/support/ml
>

> Hello,
>
> But do I really need clamd??
> As far as I can tell, clamd "only" gives me on-access
> protection, right?
>
> Thank you
> Agostinho

No, clamd does not give to transparent backgroup protection, like the Windows
antivirus tools to. It is a daemonized version of clamscan, which means that it
preloads the signature databases to memory, and scans the viruses in rapid
manner when requested, as it does not need to reload the database again and
again everyting like clamscan has to.

Its purpose is speed up the scanning process. If you are familiar with
SpamAssassin, clamd works like spamd in SpamAssassin.

clamd sits resident in memory, and the client, clamdscan works as its client,
passing the material to clamd to process. This is fast and efficient compared
to plain clamscan. Saves resources and time needed to scan.