Peter Stoffberg wrote:
> Thanks so much Edwin!
>
> The problem was with the swap setup. A2's vps servers are not
> configured with any swap space! Having only ever worked with my own
> configured servers I never even thought to check this out. I added
> 512MB of swap just using a file and it's now loading clamd.
>
> I'm still going to upgrade the RAM to 256MB since the server needs to
> be a little faster and more rugged. I'm going to use ASSP for spam
> control and managing the clam service.

You might want to go with a bit more memory than that if you can.  On my
system, clamd takes up 138m all on its own (with the Sanesecurity
signatures).  I don't use ASSP myself, but I'm sure it's going to
require a moderate amount of RAM as well.  More RAM will also let the
rest of the system run more smoothly as the OS can take advantage of the
unused memory for caching.

--
Bowie