On 21.04.2010 22:56, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>> If they want to stop supporting it with updates, that's fine and it
>> still leaves me in control of what I run and when I update it.
>
> True.  And a perfectly legitimate stance to hold.  But that doesn't mean
> sourcefire/clamav has to respect that stance...

Agreed.  So we, as a community, should make sure that no company goes
around shutting down services left and right, claiming it is their right
to do so.  Basically, public outcry and (threat of) legal action are the
only viable alternatives against that.

On a side note, I wonder if this road would have been taken if
sourcefire did not acquire clamav some time ago.  It would be nice to
know how this decision was taken, its circumstances etc.

--
Eray