On 5/3/10 8:45 AM, Alex wrote:
Hi,

Dennis Peterson wrote:
Rsync is able to transfer only the differences between two files provided a
version of the file being
transferred exists on the source and the destination. In addition, rsync will
not transfer anything if it
determines there are no changes between the two files. This saves bandwidth for
the mirrors. This

Yes, of course, this is the whole benefit of rsync.

The above is the reason for having a working area for rsync.

Yeah? So you always have effectively three copies of your data around?
I've never experienced a problem with just a local and remote copy of
data when using rsync, and it forms the basis of my backup system
(using link-dest, too).

Thanks,
Alex

Why three? You only need an unmodified version (for rsync) and a working version (for clamd). The point is not to simply copy a file - the point is to copy only the parts of the file that have changed since the most recent download. Rsync can do either but bandwidth is not free so I prefer to do it the most efficient way possible.

dp