Hello,

I am administering a Red Hat Enterprise 5 server and was running ClamAV 97.3
and upgraded to version 97.5. Prior to upgrading I removed the earlier Clam RPM
completely.

The issues I'm having are as follows:

The ClamAV installation on red hat is producing the following error when we run
a freshclam command, which updates the virus databases:

root@server clamav# freshclam
ClamAV update process started at Fri Jun 22 08:04:54 2012
WARNING: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net
WARNING: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.
WARNING: Can't get information about db.US.clamav.net: Temporary failure in
name resolution
WARNING: Can't download main.cvd from db.US.clamav.net
Trying again in 5 secs...

According to ClamAV FAQ's it wants to ensure the server can resolve TXT and to
check resolv.conf:

*             I get this error when running freshclam: Invalid DNS reply.
Falling back to HTTP mode or ERROR: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net . What
does it mean?
*             There is a problem with your DNS server. Please check the entries
in /etc/resolv.conf and verify that you can resolve the TXT record manually: $
host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net If you can't, it means your network is
broken. You'll be still able to download the updates, but you'll waste a lot of
bandwidth checking for updates.

After reviewing that information I ran the command successfully, see below:

root@server clamav# host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net
current.cvd.clamav.net descriptive text
"0.97.5:54:15068:1340372274:1:63:39475:185"

which is the same result I received on a server where the virus update is
succeeding.

server# host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net
current.cvd.clamav.net descriptive text
"0.97.5:54:15068:1340372274:1:63:39475:185"

I reviewed SElinux logs and don't see anything being blocked.

What is the recommended course of action?

Thank you,

Mario A. Reyes