Hello

Running clamav 0.97.6 and then 0.97.8 on a Debian squeeze server, since 14 Feb this year freshclam has been consistently failing with

 ERROR: getpatch: Can't download daily-16682.cdiff from database.clamav.net
 WARNING: Incremental update failed, trying to download daily.cvd
Ignoring mirror 217.135.32.99 (has connected too many times with an outdated version)
 ERROR: Can't download daily.cvd from database.clamav.net
 Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf is working. Check http://www.clamav.net/support/mirror-problem for possible reasons.

One solution (delete daily.cvd and run freshclam again) has been covered here on 15 Feb <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/clamav/users/57663#57663>. However, that solution is not necessarily obvious, and there is other advice out there such as reducing number of Checks per day to less than 6 and waiting at least 24 hours <http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97058>, which didn't work for me. (The upgrade to 0.97.8 also reduced Checks to 3.)

Another solution that I found was setting a HTTPProxyServer and HTTPProxyPort in freshclam.conf. So are the mirrors blocking the IPv4 address used by my freshclam? And if so, why, is there any way to remove the block, and why is the restriction only enforced when the old daily.cvd is present?

I'm wondering how many ClamAV installations there might be out there which are "stuck on updates prior to daily.cvd version 16685" months later, without the owners even knowing. The updates usually work very nicely thank you, and the errors may not get noticed.

Could this be fixed by an update to the freshclam client, or perhaps to the mirrors? At least could http://www.clamav.net/support/mirror-problem be updated to reflect this?

Thanks

CK