On Tuesday 08 April 2014 21:08:34 Al Varnell did opine:

> A ClamXav user contacted me today that the software he developed,
> packaged and posted as a .dmg image file had been falsely identified as
> Osx.Trojan.Genieo. I believe he had already submitted it to you a few
> days ago, but I took the time to verify and upload it again just be be
> certain. The file name is CloudCompare-2.5.0.dmg with
> MD5=b26d6ac32713795bcdb5f36bb52607a1.
>
> This is one of several .dmg files that have been found recently that
> were falsely identify an infection where the signature is based on
> patterns found in an XML section of the .dmg. I believe this section to
> be overhead information associated with the .dmg itself, unrelated to
> the contents of the mounted image. In examining the XML I notice that
> they are all very similar in both format and content, prominently
> filled with the letter “A”. I believe all the signatures to have been
> produced by the new automated system used with OSX samples a couple of
> months ago. It’s probably too early to conclude that the automated
> process is inadequate to handle .dmg files, but suggest that it be
> looked at. Signature writing is not something I can claim any
> experience with, just an observation on my part.
>

> -Al-

I believe this to be an FP, my daily run identified that as being part of
both the 1.3.8 and 1.4.0 versions of rkhunter.tar.gz.  Those 2 archives
have been sitting on my drive for yonks/years, but this morning is the
first time it was triggered.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)