On Mon, 2014-10-06 at 15:21 +0100, Tim Smith wrote:
> > but call paid prebuildt software always better is not correct, but mostly
> > just marketing
>
> What rubbish... ClamAV always lags behind the commercial vendors in
> any comparative you wish to mention.
>
> The majority of well established vendors will also do a better job of
> detecting and pushing out definitions as it seems that ClamAV is
> reactive, not proactive on the definitions front  ....

Well, as with all free software/opens source, you can help to speed it
up.

[...]
> Seriously, why should I mess around with creating virus signatures,
> its a waste of my time.

To get them earlies/fster into ClamAV?

[...]
> it very quickly removes the attractiveness of the product.   80% of
> people using your open-source project won't have the knowledge, time
> or inclination to hack together their own virus definitions ....

At least that is the same with the proprietory vendors: Then you you
get what they feel to deliver to you.

        Bernd
--
"I dislike type abstraction if it has no real reason. And saving
on typing is not a good reason - if your typing speed is the main