If I were in your position I'd also use rsync as that is what I did when I was in your position (retirement is a fine thing). It also provides a very atomic-like operation so if clamd or clamscan needed to read the signatures they're not in a half-there state. Your case involves protecting intellectual property and that is justification for just about any solution you can come up with.

dp