Daniel Spies <ds20150222c...@pskx.net> wrote:

> In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense to scan e-mail leaving the server.
> The recipient will never trust these tags anyway. So why scan at all? It's
> important to scan incoming mail, be it from a local or an external client.

I disagree.
Recipients may not trust the tags, but it *should* stop outbound spam/infected
mail should your machine (or one of the clients) get compromised. IMO spam and
malware is not just something to stop coming in, it's something to porevent
going out - if more networks prevented it going out then there'd be less of a
problem.

On my systems I scan *everything*, and I firewall off everything I can -
including preventing outbound connections to port 25.

At work I run mail servers that are used by customers - including as smart
relays. It's not all that uncommon to find one of the customer compromised and
sending out thousands (or millions) of spam emails - so my latest server also
does rate limiting to limit the damage done before it gets spotted and blocked.