Hi,

May  1 17:02:06 mail02 clamd[25732]:
/var/spool/amavisd/tmp/amavis-20150501T165504-27729-5xw6dnm4/parts/p001: Can't
create temporary directory ERROR

# ps axwwwu|grep clam
amavis   25732  2.8  1.5 823212 523148 ?       Ssl  16:47   0:21 clamd.amavisd
-c /etc/clamd.d/amavisd.conf --pid /var/run/clamd.amavisd/clamd.pid

If I change to the amavis user, I can create files in the tmp directory:

# ls -ld /var/spool/amavisd/tmp
drwxr-x---. 9 amavis amavis 12288 May  1 17:03 /var/spool/amavisd/tmp

Does anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this? Maybe there's some tracing
I can enable to troubleshoot this?

If the process had permissions to create files/directories then you
most likely were running out of free disk space or free inodes.

Is amavis' scratch area located on a ram disk (tmpfs filesystem) with
limited size?

The error might have been caused by the concurrent handling of several
large messages or compressed attachments that expand to many and/or
large files. Do your logs show such events?

It turns out permissions on /var/tmp had changed and lost the sticky bit. A more descriptive error message would have been nice.

Consistent error messages from amavis would also be nice. It appears sometimes it uses "ERROR" and other times just "!!". A consistent way to track them would be nice.

Thanks so much for your help.
Alex