Maybe I didn't state my point clearly enough.  Apparently, my siting http
as something I wanted to avoid made you think that it was http in
particular that I object to.  Not so.  It is networking in general I'm
trying to avoid.  Did you notice that I said the target machine is not on
any kind of network, not even a local LAN?  It has no wireless.  There's no
ethernet cable plugged into it.

Okay, so the local private mirror solution does not require the final
target to use http.  So I could do without a web server.  But it does
require the final target to use networking, yes?  DNS?  So I *could* make
it work, but I'd have to run a domain name server on the target machine,
and it would need its loopback network interface running.  All this just so
the final target, which is the client, can ask the server, which is also
the final target machine, one little question that has a short text string
for an answer.  That seems to me like an awfully "big hammer", considering
that otherwise, on a stand-alone machine, networking is entirely
unnecessary.

All I'm saying is that, for the admittedly unusual but definitely simpler
situation of an entirely stand-alone, completely non-networked machine, it
would be nice if there were a solution that was correspondingly simpler.
One that used the file system only, not networking.