Gentlemen.  We get the point.  We’re working on it.  I had a conversation with
the malware lead last week to see what we can do here.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Talos Group

On Feb 22, 2016, at 12:06 PM, Groach
<groachmail-stopspammin...@yahoo.com<mailto:groachmail-stopspammin...@yahoo.com>>
 wrote:

I dont think there is any 'cause' to be had (that the unofficial signatures
found threats and that the official ones didnt) other than ClamAV signatures
are too few, too ineffective and more importantly too late.

I ran AV for 3 years as an inline mail scanner and it didnt catch a single
threat in my emails.  Not one SINGLE one. In 3 years! (Although there were WAY
too many false positives when scanning my hard drives (almost daily.)   In
November, after some testing, I decided on implementing and using Sane
signatures and the difference was immediate within the FIRST HOUR of turning
them on.  Now we must have on average at least 5 of 6 emails DAILY with threats
attached to them and they get caught immediately by the unofficial signatures.
The daily threat of 'bad-macro' in Office documents (cryptolocking) was caught
at retrieval and never got through to the users (thereby removing the risk of
them stupidly opening it, enabling macros in Office, and wondering how pretty
that red "you have been encrypted, send us your money" screen looks). These
emails were always coming in almost daily before implementing Sane but ClamAV
definitions just didnt have any clue (or urgency!) on dealing with them. In 3
months only 2 email threats managed to come in just before my hourly definition
update and therefore got through.

So I have no doubt, that even if ClamAV definitions took priority in the
database, it wouldnt have mattered as they had the efficacy of wearing sandals
for rain boots.