--
Joel Esler
Manager, Talos Group

On Feb 28, 2016, at 8:26 AM, Theodore Alcapotaxis
<summercas...@dcemail.com<mailto:summercas...@dcemail.com>> wrote:

--- alvarn...@mac.com<mailto:alvarn...@mac.com> wrote:

From: Al Varnell <alvarn...@mac.com<mailto:alvarn...@mac.com>>
To: ClamAV users ML
<clamav-users@lists.clamav.net<mailto:clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>>
Subject: Re: [clamav-users] Add virus databases and signatures from third-party
vendors
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 23:58:15 -0800

I can’t imagine why the competition would ever be willing to share their
signature databases with >anybody.

It's industry practice that a third-party vendor, e.g. Symantec, discovers a
new virus, it has to share it with other vendors such as Eset, Kapersky, McAfee…

We share with others, and lots of people share with us.  But we do not exchange
Definitions.

Why would a user invest in a commercial A-V software package if they could get
the same scanning >protection for free?

I disagree. Scan engines differ by vendor. Annually at ZDnet there's a rundown
of which antivirus and malware software offers the best protection such as the
ability to detect and clean the most number of viruses, trojans and malware,
the fastest scan, etc.

Washington DC's Largest FREE Email service. --->
http://www.DCemail.com<http://www.dcemail.com> ---> A Washington Online
Community Member --->
http://www.DCpages.com<http://www.dcpages.com>