This was on the blog....

YARA rules using any of the following features will be flagged in error, and the respective rules will be disabled:

Single byte YARA string components – currently in the ClamAV matcher, all strings, as well as components of strings delimited by wild cards, must be at least two bytes in length

External variables – variables referenced in YARA conditions whose value may be set using the ‘yara –d’ command line option.

Cheers,

Steve
Web: sanesecurity.com
Blog: sanesecurity.blogspot.com