Some years ago, before ClamAv had an option to follow symlinks when
recursing, I modified the source code to add an option to do that. It
was not too much work to do it once, but it got tedious to roll the
modifications forward and recompile with every new version, as I like
to keep up, even ahead of the distro (which forced a recompile in any
case).

This was not a big deal, but having private mods is basically forking.
I was very happy when ClamAV added the option and spared me future work.

P.S. In the past, with some experimental software at IBM Research, quite
extensive code changes were needed, and it was almost impossible to
keep up. So, being able to modify the source code is *necessary*, but
not *sufficient* to make things behave the way you want, depending on
the effort needed, the resources available, and the number of target
users (only me, in that example).