Thanks Carlos

I see what you saying. I checked my previous sessions and I found the below
one from the 'Oct 2016' session where I see that the clam-miller.socket is
owned by clamav:clamav, where as my latest one is owned by clamav:root. Is
it causing the below error? If so how can I make sure the socket gets
proper permissions?

ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file /var/run/clamav/clamd.socket is in use by another
process.

# lsof | grep clamd.socket
clamd     22795    clamav    5u     unix 0xc0000000712f4880       0t0
335900 /var/run/clamav/clamd.socket

Oct2016
# ls -lrt /var/run/clamav
total 8
srw-r--r--. 1 clamav clamav 0 Oct 24  2016 clamav-milter.socket
-rw-rw-r--. 1 clamav clamav 5 Oct 24  2016 clamav-milter.pid
-rw-rw----. 1 clamav clamav 5 Oct 24  2016 freshclam.pid

Latest
# ls -lrt /var/run/clamav
total 12
srw-rw-rw-. 1 clamav clamav 0 May 16 21:40 clamd.socket
-rw-rw-r--. 1 clamav clamav 6 May 16 21:40 clamd.pid
srw-r--r--. 1 clamav root   0 May 16 21:40 clamav-milter.socket         #
Not sure why it's not owned by clamav:clamav here
-rw-rw----. 1 clamav clamav 6 May 16 21:40 freshclam.pid
-rw-rw-r--. 1 clamav clamav 6 May 16 21:40 clamav-milter.pid

Thanks
-----------

IMHO rc.local is not the best place to put this at all...

>* # clamd status *>* ERROR: LOCAL: Socket file
/var/run/clamav/clamd.socket is in use by another *>* process. *
You are calling clamd *daemon* with a "status" argument that it doesn't
recognize.
As you are using an init system you should use a init.d/rc.d script (like
"/etc/rc.d/clamav"). That script usually accepts a "status" argument, but
clamd (daemon) does not.

Regards,
Carlos Velasco