On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 20:44 +0200, Michael D. wrote:

Hi Bryan,

> The problem isn't with ClamAV, it's the difference in sessions between a
> daemon and a user.
>
> A user that is logged in, is in a shell with lot's of environment
> variables set, whereas a daemon is running in a bare-minimum environment.
>
> You probably need to set the variable DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS in your
> script as described here:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/298608/notify-send-doesnt-work-from-crontab
>
> Best regards
>    Michael

> http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml

Michael,

Thanks for your help.  I ended up with the following for my script.
Thought I would put it in this thread in case some future person was
searching for a solution to this as well:

#!/usr/bin/bash

USER=your_user_name

eval "export $(egrep -z DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS /proc/$(pgrep -u $USER
gnome-session)/environ)";

su $USER -c '/usr/bin/notify-send -u critical "Virus Found
$CLAM_VIRUSEVENT_VIRUSNAME" "$CLAM_VIRUSEVENT_FILENAME has been
removed"'
echo "$(date) - $CLAM_VIRUSEVENT_VIRUSNAME > $CLAM_VIRUSEVENT_FILENAME"
>> /var/log/clamav/infected.log
rm $CLAM_VIRUSEVENT_FILENAME