Colin,

Is it possible that icap has changed the file in some way? Is it possible
to set up a test to verify what is sent to ClamAV?

You could also try using the clamd.conf parameters LeaveTemporaryFiles and
TemporaryDirectory. Then run your file through your squidclamav
configuration and inspect the file(s) left in the temporary directory.
Hopefully, it will contain a file that looks something like the eicar. If
nothing is left there, try it with eicar inside of a zip file.

Steve