On Wed, 15 Nov 2017, Mark Foley wrote:

>On Wed 15 Nov 2017 01:14:00 -0800 Al Varnell <alvarn...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 07:45 AM, Mark Foley wrote:
>>> I found this older message in the archives. I'm receiving a lot of fake
>>> "Invoice" messages with attached encrypted .doc files that run VB scripts
>>> and
>>> execute .exe files.
>>>
>>> I'd like to block encrypted Word documents.  Interestingly, as Reindl Harald
>>> says, ".docx files *are* zip files", but lately I've been getting .doc files
>>> which are really .docx file.  KDE Dolphin isn't deceived and opens the
>>> attachment as an archive, but Word in WIN7 goes ahead and opens it as a
>>> document.  If I rename the document to .docx, then Dolphin opens it in
>>> LibreOffice.
>>>
>>> So, will ArchiveblockEncrypted work on .doc files too? I.e. is clamav smart
>>> enough to look beyond the extension?
>>
>> In general, yes, clamAV doesn't pay attention to extensions and looks for
>> document signatures that are usually at the top of a file to determine
>> file type. That being said, I can't confirm exactly how it handles .doc and
>> .docx files.
>>

>Thanks Al. I'll turn this on and experiment. I'll post back my findings.
>
>Does anyone have exerience with this?

I did a few tests some time ago. The encryption/protection
is implemented by microsoft as a internal format somewhere in
the office document structure, _not_ as a encrypted zip file.

So ArchiveblockEncrypted won't block encrypted Word documents.

Regards,

Kees Theunissen.

--
Kees Theunissen,  System and network manager,   Tel: +31 (0)40-3334724
Dutch Institute For Fundamental Energy Research (DIFFER)