You may want to add “ELF….” To your count.  Perhaps even “OSX….”
--
Joel Esler | Talos: Manager | jes...@cisco.com<mailto:jes...@cisco.com>

On Dec 20, 2017, at 7:02 AM, Maarten Broekman
<maarten.broek...@gmail.com<mailto:maarten.broek...@gmail.com>> wrote:

There are far more than 31 signatures that have the potential to impact
Linux systems. There are, in truth, over 23,000 signatures that are able to
detect malware on Linux and Unix systems. Most "Linux" signatures only
contain the word Unix, however. Additionally, keep in mind that these are
only from the ClamAV provided databases. Sanesecurity and the Linux Malware
Detect project add more as well.

Of the official databases, the signatures break down like this for Unix
signatures:
     1 [bytecode]
  7386 [daily.hdb]
 11640 [daily.hsb]
    67 [daily.ldb]
    11 [daily.ndb]
   141 [main.hdb]
  3445 [main.hsb]
     5 [main.mdb]
   426 [main.ndb]
     2 [daily.ldb] <== These are noted by Al in his previous message.

Aside from the Win.* signatures, these are the major grouping of the
non-hash signatures:
     1 Unix.Downloader
    28 Unix.Exploit
     1 Unix.Malware
     1 Unix.Packer
     6 Unix.Rootkit
   311 Unix.Tool
   144 Unix.Trojan
    11 Unix.Worm

Of the hashes, there are about 50 different 'families' of Unix/Linux
related malware of varying specificity:
     3 Unix.Adware.Bundlore
     1 Unix.Adware.Bundloreca
     9 Unix.Adware.Genieo
     1 Unix.Adware.Installmiez
     1 Unix.Adware.Macinst
     1 Unix.Adware.Spigot
     1 Unix.Adware.Xloader
     1 Unix.Downloader.Amcleaner
     1 Unix.Exploit.CVE_2016_8733
     1 Unix.Exploit.CVE_2016_9032
     1 Unix.Exploit.CVE_2016_9033
     1 Unix.Exploit.CVE_2017_1000253
     1 Unix.Exploit.Gingerbreak
     1 Unix.Exploit.Iosjailbreak
     1 Unix.Exploit.Lacksand
     4 Unix.Exploit.Lotoor
     1 Unix.Exploit.Powershell
     1 Unix.Exploit.Remotesync
     1 Unix.Exploit.Roothack
     1 Unix.Exploit.TALOS_2016_0257
 21777 Unix.Malware.Agent
     1 Unix.Malware.Generic
     1 Unix.Malware.Setag
     4 Unix.Malware.Tsunami
     1 Unix.Malware.Xorddos
     1 Unix.Spyware.Opinionspy
     1 Unix.Tool.Dnsamp
     6 Unix.Tool.Dofloo
   448 Unix.Tool.EQGRP
     5 Unix.Tool.FakeAV
     1 Unix.Tool.Flood
     1 Unix.Tool.Zusy
   137 Unix.Trojan.Agent
     6 Unix.Trojan.Cornelgen
     7 Unix.Trojan.Ddostf
    13 Unix.Trojan.Dofloo
     1 Unix.Trojan.Dogspectus
     1 Unix.Trojan.Elknot
     1 Unix.Trojan.Elzob
   127 Unix.Trojan.Gafgyt
     3 Unix.Trojan.Hanthie
     3 Unix.Trojan.Mayday
    24 Unix.Trojan.Mirai
     2 Unix.Trojan.Small
     7 Unix.Trojan.Tsunami
     1 Unix.Trojan.Webshell
     1 Unix.Trojan.Zonie
     1 Unix.Virus.Zusy
     1 Unix.Worm.Cheese
     1 Unix.Worm.Darlloz

My suggestion is, yes. Run ClamAV. But don't rely on just the official
databases.

--Maarten

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 4:09 AM, Al Varnell