I believe the developers are hard at work planning for the future this week, so
they can probably can give you better answers than I later on.

I suspect some of this may be platform specific, so my answers are based on my
macOS experience.

clamd scans every file that clamdscan tells it to, so something else needs to
keep track of what's new or changed and notify clamdscan to tell clamd to scan
them. So that requires tapping into the file system to determine changes in the
area of interest.

I've never had an issue with using a file while it's being processed by ClamAV,
but scans normally take place very rapidly, so I my not have noticed it being
locked.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-