I must say that I agree. To have ClamAV crash on a badly formed
signature is as bad (or worse) as having it crash while scanning.

Since ClamAV tends to be run with automatic updates to its DB, having a
bad signature cause it to crash can result in email blockage or a total
lack of AV service (including perhaps letting bad emails through).

Even if clamd is auto-restarted (e.g., via systemd), it will likely
crash each time, and thus be unavailable.

Software should *never* crash when presented with invalid input,
especially if the input arrives via the Internet. And it's quite
conceivable that some especially clever bad guy might attack the source
of signatures to incapacitate ClamAV, or, in the worst case, to cause it
to execute arbitrary code instead of "merely" crashing.