Not milter, but Exim calls ClamAV using the SCAN command when using a UNIX
socket, or zINSTREAM for TCP sockets.

I've got 3 'clusters' (loosely coupled groups, more accurately) VMs of
differing roles with slightly differing setups here at Loughborough Uni.

  *   CentOS 6 MX servers with a small number of custom sig files - consuming
around 2GB RAM per clamd instance, scanning around 25-100k messages each per
day. ClamAV MaxThreads set to greater than the max permitted number of inbound
simultaneous SMTP connections, with a short pending queue.

  *   CentOS 7 MX servers with stock ClamAV sigs - consuming around 1.5GB RAM
per clamd instance, scanning around 15-75k messages each per day. ClamAV
MaxThreads set to greater than the max permitted number of inbound connections
with a small, but a short pending queue.

  *   CentOS 6 MTA (outbound) servers with stock ClamAV sigs - consuming around
2GB RAM per clamd instance, scanning around 25-100k messages each per day.
ClamAV MaxThreads set to less than the max permitted number of inbound
simultaneous SMTP connections, with a long pending queue where (pending +
active) = max inbound SMTP connections.

Each of these groups are the same in 'hardware' terms - 4 cores, 8GB RAM. They
normally don't break a sweat.

From memory, we had a single instance in the last 12 months where the kernel
OOM killer was invoked and killed off clamd after an external 3rd party
attempted to exploit a web form on one of our websites; the form sent several
hundred thousand messages via one of the MTA servers which got a touch upset.
We never did work out why.

Is that helpful in any way?

Graeme