Hi Zhuang,

You already mentioned kernel and application types of rootkits, so you probably
already understand this - but I wanted to chime in since you specifically
mentioned different types of rootkits.

The TL;DR is that ClamAV is not a rootkit detector, and does not inspect and
scan the running memory of other processes.  ClamAV may alert on rootkits if
signatures are written to detect rootkit-related files. As Al stated, please
submit any malware to https://www.clamav.net/reports/malware if you find that
ClamAV does not detect it.

With regards to rootkits:

Rootkits are a subcategory of malware that attempt to hide from users,
antivirus, and the operating system by altering running processes or threads
(kernel or user), or other supporting operating system structures to do things
like:
* hide a malicious process or thread,
* hide network traffic from a network analyzer,
* hide files from file listings,
* etc.

A rootkit detector, or a security suite with rootkit detection and/or memory
scanning features, may inspect kernel and application memory to find clues that
reveal a rootkit. A traditional antivirus scanning software, like ClamAV, is
different from a rootkit scanner or rootkit detector.  ClamAV may report that
it has found a rootkit when scanning a file associated with a rootkit, but it
doesn't have the features to inspect running kernel or user process memory to
search for hidden processes or other clues that indicate the presence of a
rootkit.

Cheers,
Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.

On Dec 3, 2018, at 10:32 PM, zhuangxiaohui