One issue ClamAV currently has with scanning Zip archives is that ClamAV's
self-extracting zip detection logic has a flaw wherein it detects every file
within a zip as a new self-extracting zip.  As a result, I believe (and I could
be wrong on this), that Clam ends up extracting and scanning every file in a
zip *twice*.  I'm still brainstorming the best way to fix this -- but I suspect
this is a large part of why zip-based file formats take much longer than
expected to scan.

-Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos
Cisco Systems, Inc.

On 4/7/20, 1:38 PM, "clamav-users on behalf of Paul Kosinski via clamav-users"
<clamav-users-boun...@lists.clamav.net on behalf of
clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

    I didn't want to screw around with my clamdscan (clamd.conf) settings,
    so I ran my optioned-up clamscan command on a smaller and much less
    complicated file. It took less than 11 seconds total time. (My previous
    guess on clamscan's DB load time was apparently way off.)

    This suggests that the ClamAV scanning process really does take a lot
    of CPU to deal with a big, complicated file like a Firefox package:

      time clamscan
           --alert-exceeds-max=yes --max-scantime=999999 --max-scansize=4090M
--max-filesize=4090M --max-files=30000
           --max-recursion=30 --pcre-match-limit=999999999
--pcre-max-filesize=999999999
        audiofile.wav

      audiofile.wav: OK