Hi there,

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, Andrew C Aitchison via clamav-users wrote:

I was assuming that clamav's on-access scanning used the same
mechanism as inotify.

No need to assume anything:

https://www.clamav.net/documents/on-access-scanning

It's documented there that it uses fanotify, only works on Linux and
requires Linux kernel version >= 3.8 to work.  The fanotify man page
has a comparison with the inotify API.

I imagine that scan-on-write produces less load than scan-on-read (for most
user files - obviously not for logfiles that are never read)
- at the price of nissing the most recent virus definitions,

Well I _do_ read my log files(!) and if I ever scanned anything I'd
exclude logfiles from the scan as a matter of routine.  I think your
cost assessment is about right, modulo the database update frequency.

and that using clamav's on-access scanning has the advantage of catching the
nasties before the file is used, unlike the inotify-bsed solutions, which
avoid the latency that on-access scanning produces ...

Not sure that I follow all that, but the perceived advantage of having
a potential to catch any nasties must necessarily be discounted by the
probability that it will catch anything when it actually looks for it.
Rough order of magnitude I guess a one in three chance on a good day.

My one piece of advice for anyone thinking of off-line scanning
would be to work out what you will do when your scanner finds a nasty.

Excellent advice. :)

--

73,
Ged.