Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 14:07:08 +0000 (GMT)
From: Andrew C Aitchison <and...@aitchison.me.uk>
To: clamav-users@lists.clamav.net
Cc: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jes...@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [clamav-users] local server takes time to update clamav db

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, Joel Esler (jesler) via clamav-users wrote:

On Dec 10, 2020, at 6:06 AM, G.W. Haywood via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net> wrote:

Hi there,

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users wrote:

â??*The daily.cvd database downloaded from https://database.clamav.net
is one version older than advertised in the DNS TXT record.â??
is a verbose-level message from freshclam but is not an error to
worry about.  It indicates a known issue with CloudFlare caching
that our team has been unable to resolve.  You can safely ignore the
message.  Update again in an hour or two and you should get the
latest database.

But...but...I thought Joel said that this was fixed in February! [*]

Shouldn't this be documented?

At least in the error message itself, and preferably the manual and Bugzilla.

[*] https://marc.info/?l=clamav-announce&m=158092409813720&w=2

By â??unable to resolveâ?? Micah means: â??Thereâ??s nothing more we can do
to solve the problemâ??.

When we generate a new cvd/cld, etc, we push it to our local
mirrors.  We then force Cloudflare to fetch the files through
purging the cache for the files updated, and then requesting them
through cloudflare (which causes the CF PoP (Point of Presence) to
fetch the file from our mirror). Then we update the TXT record in
DNS.

Would you be able to request them from multiple cloudflare PoPs
before updating the DNS record ?
Not necessarily waiting for the update, but making the request.

So, there are occasions where one PoP from Cloudflare is behind and
hasnâ??t yet fetched the file from the other PoP or from our mirror
directly.  This might be the case that youâ??re the first one thatâ??s
asked for it from your PoP location in the world, or its just not
caught up yet.  Waiting a bit ensures that the PoP will fetch the
file, and when you try again, itâ??s there (as you can see).

I think the way to fix this is, freshclam, if it receives an â??Iâ??m
behindâ?? error from the PoP, to do a sleep for awhile and then try
again.  If the second attempt still fails then give the error to the
user.

Would it be sensible for freshclam to update the file when a newer
version is available, even if it is not the newest ?

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                                     Kendal, UK
                        and...@aitchison.me.uk