All —

I’ve had to be more stringent on the rate limiting for the daily.cvd and
main.cvd files.  It seems that some people either have stuck cron jobs (or are
doing it on purpose) and downloading the full file 200k-300k times a day.

We release AV updates once a day, in an emergency slightly more than that.
There is no reason for this.  I’ve had to lower the amount of connections you
are allowed, and raise the amount of time you are blocked.

If you are being blocked with a 429 code from the ClamAV update system, and you
believe your system isn’t broken, and have a valid reason to download that much.

1. Feel free to reach out to me via 1:1 or via this list.
2. Consider setting up a local mirror on your network.

Repeat:  You need to be using freshclam, and freshclam only.  It needs to check
the DNS for the presence of an update, and you need to be downloading the diff
files.  There’s no reason to download the full main and daily.

--
Joel Esler
Manager, Communities Division