Hi Gary, Ged,

Sorry no we don't test on Solaris anymore. To be frank, it seems pretty clear
that Oracle isn't maintaining Solaris anymore.  All of the packages are years
out of date, even the opencsw ones. It simply wasn't worth the effort to
maintain the solaris 10 and 11 vms we used to test with.
Our list of systems that we test on is
https://docs.clamav.net/#supported-platforms

Ged: I also have a Raspberry Pi (3b) running the latest Raspberry Pi OS. I
configured it to do daily clamav build tests with buildkite:
https://buildkite.com/clamav/clamav-public-tests
I know what you mean about it crashing. Before I added a heat sink I was able
to get it to overheat & crash pretty easily.  I’m told the Pi 4 really needs
extra cooling.  Still, after seeing that you can rack mount a bunch of these
things and set them up as a cluster, it's awfully tempting to give it a try.

Gary, if you want to set the CLFAGS and LDFLAGS, you should be able to do this
before you run cmake:

export CFLAGS="-m32 -I/opt/local/include"
export CXXFLAGS="-m32 -I/opt/local/include"
export LDFLAGS="-m32 -L/opt/local/lib -R/opt/local/lib"

The `-D SOME_VARIABLE` thing is just for CMake variables, which is why you saw:

CMake Warning:
   Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

     CXXFLAGS
     LDFLAGS

I also noticed you set the include path for libpcre2 but not the library path.
In the configuration summary it did find libpcre2 but in /usr/lib instead of
/opt/local
https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/blob/239ede802387ec89b25502b2f8bb0fee0778728f/INSTALL.md#libpcre2

We didn't implement a `make distclean` equivalent. Instead (and I recommend
doing this with autotools anyways), do your builds in a different directory
than the source. I recommend using a subdirectory named "build". Then if
something goes wrong, you can `rm -rf ../build/*` (note I now use ../build/*
after accidentally running it with ../* in my home directory! So
embarrassing...).
Or if you're using Git, you can do `git clean -fdx` to remove anything that's
not in version control.

We of don't have any Solaris instructions, there are instructions for other
systems here:
https://docs.clamav.net/manual/Installing/Installing-from-source-Unix.html#build-clamav

Disclaimer: We're (rather slowly) working on integrating Rust programming
language support into our build system so we can rewrite some components or
write new components in Rust. We'd planned on adding this in 0.104, but it got
pushed back to 0.105. For 99% of people that just means the Rust toolchain will
have to be installed to do the build. The build instructions won't change any
and CMake will take care of everything.
But Solaris (x86 and sparc) are Tier 2 platforms for Rust support, meaning you
can only cross compile Rust code for Solaris.
https://doc.rust-lang.org/nightly/rustc/platform-support.html
So I don't expect building clamav for Solaris will be easy (if possible) once
we add the Rust toolchain requirement.

Regards,
Micah