On 7/31/21 2:03 PM, Micah Snyder (micasnyd) via clamav-users wrote:
Hi all,

I could use your opinion about a change we'd planned to make in 0.104. By request, I'd made this pull request to change the default directory for the config files from <prefix>/etc to <prefix>/etc/clamav. The purpose being to de-clutter /usr/local/etc: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/182 <https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/pull/182>

I procrastinated merging it for a long time because while it feels like a good change it will require a change to our test framework and would likely break scripts for other users as well. Some justification for the change at this time is that with the build system change to cmake, users will likely have to change the same scripts anyhow so we don't have any better time.

Unfortunately, I procrastinated it so hard I forgot to merge it before the first release candidate. Now, I can't decide if it's right to merge it before the second release candidate or throw it away. I would like your opinion.

Regards,
Micah
In the past I already used /etc/clamav for the configuration file, just for the same reason: avoiding cluttering. Now, since <prefix>/etc has become the norm, it's only logical - for the same reason - to use the proposed form of <prefix>/etc/clamav as the default. I already use it this way.

Regards, Frans.