From: clamav-users <clamav-users-boun...@lists.clamav.net> On Behalf Of G.W.
Haywood via clamav-users
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2021 4:56 AM
To: Johnson, Tricia via clamav-users <clamav-users@lists.clamav.net>
Cc: G.W. Haywood <cla...@jubileegroup.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [clamav-users] Local web server

Hi there,

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021, Johnson, Tricia via clamav-users wrote:

> I read the instructions regarding how to setup a local web server
> found here: https://docs.clamav.net/appendix/CvdPrivateMirror.html
>
> Thank you for this, very helpful. Can you confirm that commercial
> use of the database update service is generally allowed with no
> restrictions beyond what's outlined in ClamAV documentation?

For a definitive answer I guess you'd have to define "commercial use"
but you can certainly use the database update service, (and since you
seem to be making a distinction, the database(s) and all the software
which makes use of same) in a commercial setting, such as for example
might be the case if you installed ClamAV on thousands of workstations
in a business and provided a local mirror at the business' premises to
propagate database updates to the workstations.  You might limit the
number of updates per day performed by the mirror to some small number
but there would effectively then be no limit on the number of updates
per day that the workstations could attempt, as the Cloudflare Content
Delivery Network would not see them.  See the mailing list archives if
you need to know about the recently imposed abuse mitigation measures.

--

73,
Ged.