This conversation is a fun read!  But don't worry really no point removing the
docs from the source package or the pre-compiled packages.  Including it is
painless at this point.  If you're curious why, here's the process...

The documentation website source is hosted in our
Cisco-Talos/clamav-documentation<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-documentation>
 repo.

Any time there is a change to the docs, GitHub Actions automatically re-builds
the static site using mdBook and force-pushes it to the
gh-pages<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav-documentation/tree/gh-pages>
branch to publish it.

To include the docs in the source tarball, all we do (Jenkins does) is copy the
contents of that branch into the
clamav/docs/html<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/tree/main/docs/html>
directory before building the source package.

>From there, the build system takes care of it.  The docs/html directory is
>bundled into the tarball, and when building the pre-compiled packages, the
>html directory is marked for installation and so is included in each package.

That also means that if you're not building from the release tarball (i.e. if
you're building from a git clone), you won't get an offline copy of the
documentation.

-Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development