Hi there,

On Wed, 3 Nov 2021, Liston, Daniel (DLISTON) via clamav-users wrote:

Can anyone offer a instructions for getting the 103/104 source to
compile on Solaris (preferably 11.3) or work-around (that won't get
me fired)?

Why not set up a virtual machine?  You'll need to give it enough RAM,
so depending on your system(s) and how you operate them you might need
either to add RAM to the box or run the VM only when you need to scan,
but you could more or less run any OS that you choose in the VM so you
could choose one for which there's likely to be an up to date ClamAV
package for the foreseeable future.  I've used VirtualBox for a good
long while, and although there have been a few niggles (most notably a
problem syncing the system clocks, which has occasionally required a
reboot of the VMs to get them back on track and I'm still not sure if
the problem is fixed) generally speaking they perform very adequately.
However I don't use them for scanning, so I can't vouch for their use
in that application.  Perhaps you could help us here by trying it. :)
If you're unsure about it let me know, I can offer you some pointers.

Alternatively for a few tens of dollars you could set up a Raspberry
Pi just for scanning.  That's what we do.  Even the fastest Pi has
fairly modest performance compared with typical desktop PCs from the
past decade.  That might be an issue for you, but we only scan mail
and my (homebrew) milters are very choosy about what gets scanned so
the performance of the Pi4B which we use is more than adequate.

(In any case, do you know of an occasion where a Solaris box has been
compromised by something which ClamAV would have been able to detect? :)

--

73,
Ged.